Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Joke's On Me In Mozambique

Day 87/Maputo, Mozambique

When I was in grade school, I collected stamps. I loved the pretty ones from Mozambique. They were triangle-shaped, with colorful pictures of animals. And that was as close to the country of Mozambique as I ever expected to be. But here we are this morning, finding our way around Maputo with the help of a guide and (thank goodness!) an air conditioned mini bus.

We have looked at two structures inspired by the designs of
Gustav Eiffel, of Eiffel Tower fame. One is a railroad station,
the other a bolted-together iron house.


The house was designed so that its sections could be taken apart, moved, and bolted back together in another location, but the people who knew how to do this are no longer living. Mr. Eiffel is at the top of my list of people, places and things that beg for further reading when we get home.

Another interesting tour stop: the city market. I never get tired of visiting markets. Each has its own personality, its own specialties. I especially liked meeting two ladies who let me take their pictures but also decided to have a little fun with me.


While I was adjusting my camera, one of them put a small live crab on the floor near my foot. Then she got my attention and pointed downward. I looked. I screeched. I jumped out of the way. We all had a good laugh.

Before returning to our ship, we also visited a crafts market, a cathedral, and a beach. Tomorrow in Richards Bay we will go on a mini safari at a game park. Stay tuned!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment